Welcome to Counseling Services! We are here to help students cope with personal and academic concerns. Counseling services strives to provide intervention, prevention, and health promotion programs at all systems levels- individual, family, organizational, community and in different ways- as counselors, consultants, educators, and active members of the university community.
Students pay $74 per semester and come to counseling services for many reasons:
- To resolve personal problems that interfere with academic performance, such as anxiety, depression, loss, financial problems, relationship and family conflict.
- To develop more effective stress management, problem solving, decision-making, and communication skills.
- To build self-esteem and self-confidence.
- To clarify personal and professional values and goals.
Our goal is to provide a supportive, confidential setting in which these concerns can be addressed.Short-term individual, couple, family, and group counseling is available at no charge to enrolled Cal State San Marcos students. Students may be seen for up to 8 sessions per academic year, including the Counseling Assessment session. Sessions are usually held weekly and are 50 minutes in length.Groups may be longer-term, and are usually 90 minutes in length.
In addition to counseling, we offer a variety of services and programs designed to enhance the college experience and promote health and well being. These include:
- Consultation to administrative and academic departments, student services and organizations.
- A wide range of outreach and education activities, including workshops, guest lectures, special events.
- The Clinical Internship Program, a half time pre-doctoral internship program for students completing their graduate degrees in clinical or counseling psychology. We are a member of the California Professional Internship Council (CAPIC).
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a counselor,
please call (760) 750-4915 or stop by SHCS.